Polish your skills and fulfil yourself in this warm and friendly atmosphere.
The Kamakura-Bori Azabu Carving Class is located near Tokyo Tower and provides a forum for learning traditional Kamakura-Bori carving in the center of Tokyo. Its warm and friendly atmosphere welcomes people coming home from work or as a halfway station while out on a stroll.
The classes allow people to gain experience producing everything from tableware to small boxes and accessories, etc., that are useful on a daily basis while familiarizing themselves with Kamakura-Bori. Small items can be completed within just two or three months once the basics have been mastered. Students are also invited to take part in the exhibition that we hold in Zushi once every year. A wide range of people of all ages are currently polishing their skills. We also organize events that enable members to interact with each other. Why not expand your own hobby and activity horizons by joining us at the Kamakura-Bori Azabu Carving Class?
Classes from Twice Per Month!
※All of the prices listed include tax
Weekday Courses/Saturday Courses/Evening Courses
|Twice per month (2nd and 4th weeks)|
|10:00 to 12:00||Morning Class||Morning Class||Morning Class||Morning Class|
|13:00 to 15:00||Afternoon Class||Afternoon Class||Afternoon Class||Afternoon Class|
|18:00 to 20:00||Evening Class||Evening Class||Evening Class||
|Monthly Fee||\5,000 per month|
|Entrance||Enrollment Fee \5,000/First time only
Kamakura-Bori Kiri-Bori Society Operation Fee: \3,000 per year
|Additional Expenses||Cost of wood, chisels, sharpening stones, templates, lacquer, etc.|
Maximum of three people per class. Classes operated from one person on an application basis. Contact us for further details.
Trial lessons together with enrolled students are offered on class days and can be selected from both weekday and weekend courses. Contact us for further details. Click here for inquiries.
Off-premise lessons also available!
- Private lessons
- Salon-style classes in your own home or in another location together with several of your friends.
- Club lessons using public halls or similar facilities (maximum of about 10 persons).
The instructor will visit the designated location and teach the class based on the standard contents.
|Fee||\7,000 per person/per month
(twice a month, 2 hours each time)
+ Transportation fees from the Azabu school (Akabane-Bashi Station on the Toei Oedo Line)
|Schedule||You may be asked to reorganize the days of the classes|
- Joining the Kamakura-Bori Instructors Association in order to acquire qualifications.
- * The fee charged for joining the Kamakura-Bori Tocho-Kai Society and the annual fee together with the annual fee for joining the Kamakura-Bori Instructors Association must be paid separately.
- The chisels used for Kamakura-Bori carving are available at the school.
- For example, a set of two small right bevel edge chisels and one small left bevel edge chisel is \8,100 (minimum).
Apply in advance if you are interested in purchasing chisels. People who already own chisels are requested to bring them to the classes. (The wood-carving chisels used in elementary schools cannot be used.)
- The first step is to learn how to carve a round tray(18cm diameter).
- The cost of the wood used for the tray is \1,800 (including the cost of the stencil).
Consult with your instructor with regard to the type of Kamakura-Bori you wish to carve from the second and subsequent works.
* Scenes of the Kamakura-Bori Kiri-Bori Society and instructor profiles, etc., will be provided.
Transport and Access
Three minutes’ walk from Akabanebashi Station on the Toei Edo Line
Fifteen minutes’ walk from Kamiyacho Station on the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line